1. A. now B. down C. cow D. throw
2. A. laugh B. tough C. photo D. though
3. A. verb B. comb C. club D. book
4. A. cover B. crop C. create D. cycle
5. A. white B. which C. when D. whose
6. Englishmen like beer.
A. Most B. Most of the C. Most of D. The most
7. The dark was in the center of the room.
A. direct B. directed C. directing D. directly
8. We need information before we can decide.
A. far B. farther C. further D. furthest
9. This is the best solution the trouble.
A. about B. in C. to D. with
10. Not only a promise, but he also kept it.
A. will he make B. he will make C. did he make D. he made
11. After the race , the celebration began.
A. had been won B. is won C. will be won D. has been won
12. I’m afraid it will rain soon.
A. why B. that C. that of D. how
13. The farm I visited during the holiday is quite far.
A. when B. where C. that D. in which
14. Only one of the fifty states in the United States an island.
A. is B. are C. was D. were
15. I can’t afford you any more money.
A. borrowing B. to borrow C. to lend D. my landing
16. You’d better stay at home in weather.
A. such B. so C. so that D. such
17. Coffee beans are picked by hand and then .
A. drying B. dried C. which are dried D. by drying
18. It’s important to reply to our letter without .
A. delay B. stop C. pause D. rest
19. A good writer is who can express the common place in an uncommon way.
A. that B. one C. this D. which
20. The newspaper had no choice to print a front page apology.
A. and B. besides C. yet D. but
21. The shower over, we continued to march.
A. was B. is C. were D. being
22. Trains stop here in order to passengers only.
A. get off B. pick up C. pull up D. get past
23. We were both pleased honored to be guests of the president.
A. also B. and C. alike D. as
24. He had mistaken me Frank.
A. with B. on C. in D. for
25. Let’s get in the wheat before the sun .
A. will set B. was set C. set D. sets
26. The flat where we live three rooms only.
A. is comprised of B. is made of C. contain D. is composed of
27. The telephone had stopped ringing I got downstairs.
A. since B. just C. after D. by the time
28. Her face went red he had said.
A. because of what B. because that C. because what D. because
29. When we saw his face, we knew that was bad.
A. the news B. some news C. a news D. news
30. We all survived .
A. from the fire B. during the fire C. the fire D. after the fire
31. entering the hall, he found everyone watching for him.
A. At B. While C. On D. In
32. He the test two days ago.
A. passing B. past C. through D. passed
33. All life on the earth on the sun.
A. depends B. carries C. keeps D. goes
34. Nobody believed him what he said.
A. even though B. in spite C. no matter D. because of
35. your help, we completed the work ahead of time.
A. Thank for B. Thanks for C. Thank to D. Thanks to
1—5 D D B D D
6—10 A D C C C
11—15 A B C A C
16—20 D B A B D
21—25 D B B D D
26—30 D D A A C
31—35 C D A C D